A botanist is a scientist who explores and studies plants.
VIRTUAL JOB SHADOW
Welcome to your first day on the job! Watch this video to see what a day in the life of a Botanist is like.
A simple way to begin your journey as a botanist is to make your own garden! A fun and easy way is with a recycled milk jug – here’s how:
- Get an empty milk jug and rinse it out well.
- Use a marker to draw a line around the middle of the milk jug (start right below the handle and go around the whole jug).
- Using scissors, cut the jug at the line. You will be left with just the bottom portion of the milk jug. You can recycle the top part that you cut off.
- Use the scissors to slit a few holes for drainage in the plastic.
- Fill with soil.
- Plant your seeds.
- Practice your botany skills by studying your plants’ growth, taking measurements, recording animal visitors, etc.
Optional: Send your creation to us at email@example.com to be featured on our Instagram!